Check out my Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Freestanding Wall for Outdoor Art Sale

 What an incredible two days.  I am referring to our Outdoor Art Sale.  The art sale was surprisingly successful and we had a lot of fun.

With any outdoor event, the weather is a major concern.  The forecasters predicted rain one day and then the next day they would change the forecast to no rain.  The forecast would continue back and forth like this, but there was not enough concern to change the date of the sale. The weather was pretty good for us; however, we had a little bit of rain from a few passing clouds but nothing serious.  The wind was pretty intense for both days and I learned some valuable lessons.....regarding the wind.

As soon as I finished displaying all my prints and framed pieces, a gust of wind blew everything face down.  The super cute clothesline idea did not work for me.  Yes, my prints took flight and a customer helped me pick them up.  When this happened, I laughed and immediately starting thinking how I could better display my pieces, and not lose them. 

Besides the wind, moving furniture out of my studio to the front yard is fine; however, we are now changing the location for the next sale and I don't see how I can lug my furniture without a moving van.  So portability is my next issue to conquer. 

Check out the look of my tent:


 As you can see the wind was blowing my sheer curtains all over the place.  Eventually, I pinned them to the table cloth.  On the left side of the photo my artwork is laying face up because the wind knocked them face forward.  In this photo I ditched the clothesline..........no need for hanging cording if there are no prints hanging from it.

Moving forward.   I went out of my comfort zone and looked on Craigslist for some old doors or screen doors to make freestanding walls.  Fortunately someone was offering two for $20.  And I did not hesitate.  My sister did come with me to make sure I stayed safe, and now I have two vintage screen doors that with a little bit of work will be my future portable displays.

Check them out:



I do plan on cutting off two inches from the bottom............they are pretty tall. 80" I believe. Also, they will be painted the same heirloom white color.   Of course...........the hardest part will be making feet for them so they will be standing upright.......even with the wind!

What a great find! 

My artist friends and myself are very grateful to all our friends and family members who came out and supported us.  We are truly lucky and thank everyone who stopped by.  We really appreciate ya'll. 

Keep creating.


Christin





No comments:

Post a Comment