While in my local Hancock Fabrics store just to pick up thread and a zipper, I made my way over to the cotton poplin section...then sitting right next to the poplin section was the shirting section. Well this beautiful blue shirting fabric screamed out..... "Pick me." AND I let my inner demon win. Fortunately I had a plan...I knew I was going to make Colette Patterns "Licorice Dress" and I would have to make it in one week for the WNCAP preview party.
Even though I was short on time, I wanted to make the dress with the lace insert and with the matching fabric belt and buckle. Some how I was able to pull it together. Check out the photo:
|"Speaking with local celeb George"|
Here is the downlow on the dress. Fashion Fabric: cotton / poly blend shirting. Lining: (Splurge) Bemberg lining in black. I made two muslins to get the correct fit (I am so glad Sarai, of Colette Patterns said to work on a proper fit in her book, this dress could have been seriously slutty or seriously dowdy if I hadn't) I had to let out the double darts (so I could breathe), lower the bust darts and lengthen the torso (typical for me). Since I lengthened the torso I took off some length from the hem. I did use a 2" Venise lace for the insert. Also, I could have made this dress a tad longer........it is definitely not a sitting dress unless I have tights or leggings underneath. Instead of using elastic in the sleeve, I choose to make a bias sleeve cuff. Also, sewed the lining and fashion fabric in French seams and made Hong Kong seams for zipper side.
|"What is so funny?"|
As for the belt, I purchased a 2" Maxant belt buckle from Vogue Fabrics, and the belting from Mood . A couple of things that I screwed up on the belt......I made the belt length too long. I should have tested this before I sewed up the fabric. (that is why my hand is on my hip to hold the belt down). Also, the sticky adhesive the attaches the fabric to the buckle is really sticky and you should try to get it straight the first time...it took me a couple of tries to get the fabric square on the buckle, and then the fabric wouldn't stick to the buckle...cause I ripped the adhesive off....bummer. I used blue eyelets for the belt, and black I think would have been better. OH, I did purchase an eyelet hole punch and it was very easy to use. Even though I made some mistakes, I still love the Licorice dress with the matching belt. I can see me sewing up more matching belts in the future.
|detail of Venise lace on bottom of dress|