Here are my notes for the wearable muslin blouse: Fabric used: a crepe de chine poly from Hancock in the value section, and for the neckline & wrist edges a crepe back satin from Hancock. (Since this is a wearable muslin, I went for inexpensive fabric, and I am so glad I did because of my silly mistakes.) Sewed with French Seams. Adjustments: I omitted the zipper, and shortened the length of the sleeve. Because this pattern had a lot of ease, I went down a size (cut size 14); however, I wish I would have better measured the bottom darts, cause after I sewed the blouse, it came out a little snug....at least more snug then I like. Also, mistake #1, I failed to gather the center section of the neckline....check out the photo:
|Close up of fabric. Notice: I forgot to gather the center section along the neckline.|
Moving on to the skirt: A couple of years ago I picked up some cute Betsey Johnson embroidered black corduroy on sale at a local fabric store.
|"Black Embroderied Betsey Johnson Corduroy"|
I knew I wanted to make a skirt from this gorgeous fabric. Of course when I saw this pattern....that was it. I cut a size 16 and didn't make any adjustments. (I did read that some lengthened the skirt; however, I have short legs so I didn't have to do that.) Now "Empress" that is my sewing machine, does not like corduroy, even using a jean needle. So, it was a constant battle and I felt I had to push the fabric the entire time. Initially, I wanted to line the skirt; however, once I started sewing I knew that this was not an option. As for the construction, I ended up sewing the zipper and fly opposite the instructions. I cut my fabric with the nap facing one way and didn't have enough fabric to recut the fly zipper area, so I had to sew in opposite manner. ( I think the layout for cutting fabric was wrong?) Also, I felt the zipper could have been a smaller length. Oh, did I mention I sewed the pocket openings the wrong way? Yeah, had to seam rip and re-sew. (You know when you mess up right at the beginning, it will be a tough project.) Now one part of the skirt I like is on the inside. I made bias tape from a cute cotton print for self bound seams and also the inside waistband. It makes me happy when I see it.
For the hem, I hand stiched a narrow hem and used hem tape. I did mess up when I hemed the front vent together.......but at that point I was so over it, that I said screw it............and I wear it "as is". Check out the photos of the outfit:
"Completed Rowley outfit"
"With (already had) velvet jacket"
Lastly, I do plan to re-make another version of the top in real silk crepe de chine from Mood Fabric, but this time I will gather the entire neckline and give myself a little more ease at the waist line or loose 5 pounds.....which ever comes first! Ha!
Oh, Glenn and I drove around last Sunday taking these photos. I didn't include the photos of me in a 6' foot ditch (Glenn said it would make a great photo, NOT), nor did I include the photos of someones dogs stepping into the photo shoot with me!!!!