Check out my Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Look out BurdaStyle patterns

       The New Year has me dreaming of sewing up new patterns. More specifically,  I am determined to sew up some BurdaStyle downloadable patterns.  I must admit, I have put off sewing their patterns because I didn't think I could figure out how to tape them up and then the harder part of actually sewing them up.  The directions don't have any pictures to reference, so you have to comprehend their short sentences.(Not my strong point, hey I am a visual artist). Also, I wasn't sure of the sizing. But in the end I couldn't resist....I mean check these patterns out or should I say check my dream patterns: 











     For my first attempt at sewing a BurdaStyle  downloadable, I choose dress 125.  The reason I choose this dress first is simply because I already have a pencil skirt pattern that has a great fit, and I knew I would be able to use it as a template. AND I am practically a pro at princess seams, cause I should did a lot of them last year.  Also, did I mention this is my B-day dress........so no pressure. right!   Yeah, Glenn and I are going to some fancy bars in Asheville and I wanted a knock out dress. Check it out:



   

     To start, I downloaded the pattern to a disk and went to Kinkos and had them print out the pattern.  You end up with about 20 pieces of paper; which you tape together and then trace onto pattern paper.  Ok I trace my pattern onto inexpensive freezer paper. Check it out:




     Then you add your seam allowances to the pattern. However,  read the instructions carefully cause in certain instances there is no allowance or it is smaller then 5/8".  Also, I don't think you add allowances to the fold side of the pattern. (but I could be wrong).  Thank goodness for the pencil skirt template, cause I was able to simple lay it on top of my burda dress.  Moving along: I made a muslin with zipper.  Check it out:  


muslin for BurdaStyle 125

     I made a few adjustments to the muslin and now I am sewing up the "real" dress.  





  


No comments:

Post a Comment