Check out my Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Completed BurdaStyle downloadable 125

      I did it! I completed my first BurdaStyle downloadable pattern, dress 125.........known as my B-day dress. Also, sewed a matching belt.  Check out the (not so great) photo:


Dress 125 with matching belt




       Fashion fabric: black crepe back satin (satin on the inside), and for the front yoke, an inexpensive lace from Hancock. Here are my notes for sewing the dress:  Sewed using french seams and Hong Kong seam for zipper seams. I over locked the edges of the lace.  Also, sewed bias tape to bottom hem edge and slip stitched by hand the hem. ( I think a blind hem stitch would have been better, oh well).  Oh, I did add a 45 degree back vent; which I think looks neater and you don't have to worry about it ripping.  Lengthened the torso 1 1/2" (typical for me). Tapered in the bottom portion of the skirt.  Lengthened sleeves and added an upper arm adjustment. Raised the front yoke a 1/4".  (I should have worn a strapless bra, but didn't realize that till I looked at the photos the next day).  Added a little more fabric to the princess seam bust area but not to the waist. Check out the photos: 
Inside of dress




Inside of dress /detail of lace

back vent with hem

sleeve detail
        A couple of things I learned about sewing with crepe back satin with crepe side as 
the shell fabric.  Any basting should be done by hand with large stitches.  I had made some machine bast stitches and when I went to rip them out the crepe started to pucker and run.  Use silk pins and pin fabric together parallel to seams....this didn't create any puckers or runs. 

      I don't think this particular style dress looks great on me.  BUT having a matching belt defines my waist, so I knew I needed to make one, after trying on my muslin.  For the matching belt I used a Maxant 2" belt buckle and belting.  I used Casey's  technique for belt making.  However, I used a scrap of fabric to do a test run and guess what, I couldn't get the eyelet to grab the fabric.........So I went to my fabric book for help, Handsewn and there is a technique for hand sewing eyelets.........and that is exactly what I did. Check out the photo:


Matching belt /handsewn eyelets



   Glenn and I had a wonderful time celebrating my B-day.   I am looking forward to my next sewing project, BurdaStyle downloadable 130 skirt and blouse.  Now I have to clean up my sewing area and machine.  Yeah, it is a disaster right now! 

     

1 comment:

  1. I think your dress looks lovely on you. Great job.

    ReplyDelete