Check out my Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

The Language of Flowers

    About a year ago, I read a book titled,  "The Language of Flowers" .  Although, I thought the book was just o.k. .......the concept of the book left a deep impression on me. The idea behind the book is based on floriography, which was a Victorian-era means of communication in which various flowers and floral arrangements were used to send coded messages, allowing individuals to express feelings which otherwise could not be spoken.

   During this time I was in the process of teaching myself classical realism portraits.  I thought it would be a great idea to incorportate the portraits with flowers/plants. The flora was painted as a way to express the emotion of the model.  I have to admit, I love the use of symbolism in paintings.....I feel the hidden meanings add interest and intrigue to artwork.

 Ok so here are two images, 1st titled, "Burgeon", 2nd titled, "Eye(s) Open" both are oil on wood paintings:


 
 
 
 
ENJOY!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment