Next, I found the pattern.... McCalls 6249 . The pattern says Easy....and it really was, except for one trifle pattern piece, the facing. On the pattern piece it says to cut 2; which is what I did. However, on the fabric lay out the pattern piece is lined on the fold. When I started constructing the top I thought I cut the facing wrong and it needed to be on the fold; however, after about an hour of thinking how I was going to fix the mistake (that was never there) I decided to pick up some trim and create detail on the collar since I had to sew the facing to the front of the shirt. At this point I was making the entire facing and shirt more complicated with the added detail trim; however, I believe the trim on the collar made the top more elegant then I could ever image. Isn't learning to sew a lot about fixing/negotiating the problems anyway? At least it is for me.
detail of trim on collar and facing
Here is the low down on my adjustments: Lengthened torso 1", major full arm adjustment, Added 1" to rise, although I really needed to add only a 1/2". Shortened legs and should have taken in pants a little bit. (but they are very comfortable) Sewed using French Seams, and made bias tape from a beautiful white cotton stripe for self binding facing seams. Lastly, I added a delicate white trim to edge of collar and along front facing. Also, should mention, a tag or piece of ribbon should be sewn on the back of pants, otherwise it is very difficult to tell the front from the back.
detail of self bound seam/ inside facing
Loungewear nice enough to hang in the closet!
Loungewear turned out nicer then expected!
Next, a set in black cotton lawn; which has become one of my favorite fabrics to sew and wear.