Check out my Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Vogue Pattern 8894...Makes me want to dance

Oh I have been wanting to sew a light, airy, summer dress for work; however, it needed to look professional too. So I started on a fabric hunt, and found a beautiful Maggie London cotton voile on sale from FabricMartFabrics.com .  Next, was the pattern, and Vogue 8894 (view A) was it. 

Here are the details:  Shell fabric: Maggie London cotton voile.  Inside fabric:  cotton lawn underlined bodice and cotton lawn lined skirt. French Seams and self bound seams for zipper.

Check out the photos: 
 
 
Inside front of dress
Inside: Underlined bodice and lined skirt in cotton lawn
 
Inside: back of dress
 

Adjustments:  lowered torso 1"  (which brings the dress waistline 1" above natural waistline), and shortened sleeves 1".  (Although, if I make another dress using this pattern, I will shortened the sleeves 1 1/2" ).  Rolled hem instead of narrow hem for skirt.  (The fabric I purchased was a little shy of the 60" required, so I didn't want it to be too short.  Although now that I have worn the dress, I could have made a narrow hem...oh well) I could have taken in the bodice slightly, but when I started the dress it was not as loose as when it was finished. Also, the zipper could have been shorter...definitely did not need the 22" .  Lastly, I did not raise the neckline.  I feel the lower neckline balances the abundant fabric in the skirt.


Yeah, I wore this dress to work on Saturday and received lots of compliments.  I told a pair of ladies that I feel like dancing in the dress, cause it feels so good. I think they thought "nutty sales person".........but seriously I do feel like dancing the tango or flamenco in it.  Check out my dance moves in the dress:


 
"Love the skirt"
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment