Check out my Pages

Friday, April 20, 2018

Beatrix Potter Exhibit

         Even though this post isn't exactly about painting, sewing or gardening, it is about painting, sewing and gardening.  For the month of April, I created a Beatrix Potter display at work.   With the recent movie of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit", I really wanted to pay homage to Beatrix Potter, who was an incredible artist, gardener and land conservationist.  The lady had guts & when her little tales were rejected by various publishers; she continued on until Frederick Warne Publishing finally published her stories. 

     Check out the photo of the display:



Beatrix Potter Display, books in left bookcase


      Also, to entice the little ones to read, I created a wool felted Peter Rabbit and placed him in  a diorama; which will be raffled off to anyone who checks out a Potter book.  I used a shoe box to create the diorama and wrapped it in felt.  The diorama has a real swinging potting shed door, wood fence, wood wheel barrel, and of course the green watering can.  Also, I must admit,  I am addicted to wool / needle felting.  I love that you can make little miniature sculptures.  Little wool felted Peter Rabbit is only 2 1/2" inches tall!   Check it out: 
Wool Felted Peter Rabbit & hanging clouds in Diorama

 Ok so I thought it would be cute to place Peter in our little veggie garden:


Peter in our garden

    Beatrix Potter based her illustrations from the many  pets she had.  For ex: she really had a bunny named Peter.  Also, there is a well known photo of Beatrix with her little pet mouse Xarifa.  So it was only natural to wool felt a little mouse too for the display.  Check her out in her little mouse cage:

Xarifa- pet mouse

    Also, I did find this wonderful Potter craft book; which contains the pattern for a "Mrs. Tiggy Winkle pincushion".....check it out: 
Mrs. Tiggy Winkle Pincushion

Lastly, I did paint (a copy) of Peter in the garden from Potter's classic "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" .  It is not an exact duplicate, but close enough.  Yeah, I left out a white section of his chest....oh well.  Check it out: 
Peter Rabbit in the Garden



I thoroughly enjoyed creating and executing this display...........but even more so, knowing that people are checking out Potter's books!    


No comments:

Post a Comment