Check out my Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Summer version of Butterick 5951 in cute polka dot cotton lawn

      Since spring is here, I thought I would get a head start on a summer dress....and there is nothing better then sewing up a pattern that has already been adjusted.  After sewing up a red linen version of Butterick 5951, I then sewed up a fall version in a beautiful teal faille with machine embroidery and black bemberg lining.  However, I left the dress in New Orleans and haven't posted it yet.  Maybe this fall I will get to it?! 

      Moving forward,  let me introduce you to my summer version of Butterick 5951.  I choose a cotton black and white polka dot lawn and fully lined it with a lightweight white cotton lawn.   Here are the changes I made for the summer version.  I shortened the sleeve length.  Took a little of the poof out of the gathered sleeve cap.  Shortened the length by 3 1/2" inches; however, instead of cutting the fabric shorter I made a 3 1/2" hem.............that way I can always lower later on. Also, I created a 3 1/2" hem for the lining too. 

Summer Polka Dot dress


   There is a lot of hand stitching involved in this dress, including sewing down the bodice lining to the zipper.  (I did cheat and machine sewed the lining to the waist seam.) However, I did use a catch stitch and hand-stitched the lining hem and dress hem.  The hem is really beautiful. Please note: I used silk thread for all the hand stitching. 
underlining and handstitching


     This dress took about a couple of weeks to sew up.  I had all the pieces cut and marked a few months ago and was finally able to give it the attention it deserved.  This dress will be a life saver for home in New Orleans........where the weather is subtropical. I look forward to wearing it and  knowing that it will be cool and comfortable. 


    Fabric:  my stash.  I did purchase the black and white flocked polka dots from JoAnns about a year ago.  The white cotton lawn/ lining I purchased from Online fabric store  This is where I buy my solid cotton lawn because it is so lightweight and easy to work with.  


    Definitely I will be continuing to sew up lightweight clothing for our new home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment